In spite of difficulties in the supply chain, reduced demand due to rationing and the shortage of staff during the war, and the continuation of rationing for some time after the war, the business had expanded to 70 stores by 1951.
From the beginning, the company had exploited innovative ideas. John Wesley had provided tea and biscuits to his early customers, along with their return tram fare home.
In later years, free bus services took customers shopping at many of the supermarkets. And in the 1950’s mobile shops toured the housing estates around Bradford, only to be phased out as local bus services improved, and as more people gained the use of a car.
Continuing the tradition of innovation, and pioneering the trend in the North, the company opened its first self-service store in Brighouse in 1952, only the second of its kind in Yorkshire. And, despite the initial reservations of some customers, all the shops had been converted to self-service within ten years.